Monday, September 29, 2014

September 29, 2014 Lots of exciting things

There is a lot going on here right now.  I am certain you have all heard, but Meet the Mormons comes out in theaters on October 10, 2014.  It is not an attempt to proselyte, but is to dispel bad information and weird beliefs about us.  Please take friends and go.  Elder Holland has specifically asked that members take their friends and that the missionaries not go.  This is the director and the Sullivan family that is one of the six families in the film.



If you have not heard the story from Elder Holland about how the film came to be, here is a short version.  The Church has a theater on Temple Square called the Legacy Theater.  The film was produced to be shown there, but when they showed it to test audiences they decided more should be done with it.  They found that people who saw it reported that they were more likely to consider members as Christians, were more likely to understand the true name of the Church and were more likely to be respectful of members.  Most of all, they found that audience members were able to see members of the church striving to follow the Savior, and were able to see the difference it made in the lives of those people.

It was a busy week.  We had to go downtown with two of the sisters, so we stopped at a famous drive-in in Atlanta, the Varsity.  It was in Parade magazine and Peggy (my sister) sent me a picture.  The food was typical greasy spoon, but it is one more item that we have experienced in Georgia!

We made another trip to the Brazilian Embassy and took along our new missionary, Sister Barros.  She has been serving on Temple Square, but Temple Square missionaries are temporarily assigned to regular missions for three months.  She is wonderful and we love her.  I don't know if it was because she was with us, or because a sweet woman named Rosalie decided to help us, but we were able to get information to allow our young missionaries to assist in the Brazilian general election to be held on October 5.  Every Brazilian over the age of 18 is required to vote or pay a fine.  We are hoping that by being there, people who may be members and didn't realize that a Brazilian Branch existed will come to the Branch.

This picture is of the missionaries who are assigned specifically to the Branch.  I have to be Sister Barros companion when she is at the Branch or working in the Branch because she has to have a companion.  I struggle to remember that, and have left her a alone in a room a couple of times!


So, on Saturday, we finally were able to take Sravanthi and Varnika io a petting zoo activity at the Atlanta History Center.  Varneka looked adorable and people kept taking pictures of her.  She dresses in traditional Indian clothing when she is dressed up, with bangles on her ankles and the shawl/scarf in front of her neck and on her shoulders.  I forgot to take my camera, so I got these from Sravanthi.




Saturday afternoon and early evening, we attended the Brazilian Festival.  All of the missionaries came, and we were able to talk to 69 people!  Elder Dixon invited one of the people from one of the displays for another church to come to ours.  He said he would, but didn't come yesterday.  I hope that we can foster really good relationships with the other faiths here.  That should strengthen the Brazilian community.

I spent quite a while talking to three younger people while eating.  The young man was helping the candidate for Attorney General here in Georgia.  In the course of the conversation, I asked one of the young women what she does for a living.  She looked a little frustrated as she said "I am a professional golfer."  My brain then began to engage and I thought I knew her.  Her name is Michelle Shin.  She was nice.


That is not the first time I have embarrassed myself in not recognizing someone famous.  When I was in High School I was on an airplane headed to Washington D.C. and some men boarded the plane carrying instruments.  It drew my attention because they were concerned about what the flight attendant was going to do with the instrument and that sounded like a movie I had just seen.  The  men were very clean,  had long hair and long nails.  I asked one of them what group he was with.  He was a member of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band.  I was on my way to attend the Presidential Classroom for Young Americans.  I said something about maybe they would be performing for us.  It wasn't until later I realized how big they were.  I get embarrassed about it even today!

No comments:

Post a Comment