Sunday, September 14, 2014

Tender Mercies

September 14, 2014

This week, my heart is really full because of those instances where it seems like God stepped in and rescued us from something.  In the Church, we call those "tender mercies".  Sometimes, we notice immediately and can give credit to God for his help.  Sometimes, we don't see his plan and may not for many years.  I have had an experience the past couple of weeks with the Lord's hand in my life.  I had been asked to do something that I felt totally inadequate in doing.  The request made me feel useful and wanted, but was terribly intimidating.  I spent one night not sleeping and cried a lot.  I didn't want to fail, I didn't want to give people less that what they deserved.  Then came the recognition that I would simply have to rely on, and trust, the Lord.  I felt peace and calm.

There was a change in plans and I didn't have to do what was asked.  The best part?  I didn't have to fail, but was able to experience the lessons I needed.  I felt a peace and comfort.  I understood that this was an answer to prayer.

I have often struggled in self-esteem.  I have wondered about my value.  Mostly, I just wanted to know that the Lord loved me and that he approved of my efforts.  This time, I knew that the experience was to let me know that I was loved, had value and he did approve of my efforts.  It was a sweet, tender mercy.

We had another tender mercy.  We have grown very fond of Bala and his family.  They are very sweet and want to feed us!  We have kept them in our prayers.  Yesterday, his little 2 year old pushed the screen out of the second story window and fell onto the air conditioning unit,  They took her to the hospital and had x-rays and miraculously she had no broken bones.  I told Bala that we had kept them in our prayers and that probably helped protect her.  

We are looking forward to the upcoming movie "Meet the Mormons."  Here is a trailer:
Meet the Mormons

We were able to get together with Elder Dixon's brother for Elder Dixon's birthday.  He is so busy, he had not been to see our apartment.  We had a wonderful time with him.  We each ordered a piece of pie.  I should have taken a picture.  It was LITERALLY a quarter of a pie!  Not as good as Jana's or Peggy's, though.  This picture came from the internet.


Kaitlyn and Titan sent a package with neckties for Elder Dixon.  Now he has some ties to trade!  It was a great package.

I had the chance to attend a leadership training for the Relief Society with the General President of the Relief Society.  She began by talking about the relationship that the General Authorities have with one another and said that if we could capture that brotherhood in the Relief Society, we could change the world.  She taught many other key principles, and emphasized that if we are having events or activities that are outside the purpose of our organization, they are just gatherings and entertainment is not the Lord's work.  She gave me a lot to ponder.

The pink diaper baby buggy was put to use on Saturday for a baby shower.  Kaina, the expectant mother, had her non-LDS friends and her friends from the Branch all come.  It was another extraordinary event.  I can't figure out how to get the pictures off the camera, so I am hoping that Kaina will send some I can share.

While I was attending those meetings, Elder Dixon went with Elder Judd and Elder Sousa to the Atlanta Temple.  Elder Dixon asked the Mission President if Elder Judd could attend a session at the Temple because Elder Judd is leaving to go to Brazil.  He is what they call a "Visa Waiter".  He received his call to Brazil, went to the MTC, and was sent to this mission while waiting for the approval of his Visa.  We have been privileged to have him in our Branch.  He has been a great missionary and has encouraged our newer Elders.  The Mission President gave approval for Elder Judd and Elder Sousa to attend the Temple as long as Elder Dixon went along.  They had a great experience.

Afterwards, they were also able to watch as one of our most recent converts was able to do Temple work for his own family names.



Elder Judd is from Colorado.  If anyone knows his parents, tell them he is wonderful!  We will miss him.

Transfers are taking place this week.  Yuck!  I hate losing these young missionaries.  We get two new missionaries from Brazil, though.  A NEW language challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment