Monday, April 4, 2016

What a conference! April 4, 2016


 There were so many wonderful and powerful messages from Conference.  I feel blessed to be part of this Church.  We have such a great opportunity to find the path to eternity when following their counsel.  I didn't have a favorite, but I definitely found messages that meant a lot in my own journey.

One of those messages was the support for fathers.  I have believed that is a critical part of our society, and that we are losing our perspective.  When I was growing up, there were sitcoms on television in which the father was a strong, wise, example to his children.  "Leave it to Beaver", "My Three Sons", "Father Knows Best" and even "Gidget" had fathers we could all look to.  They were loving, kind, and taught their children.  They were involved with their children.

Now, fathers are portrayed on television as mean, calculating, clueless, and stupid.  Fathers are mocked and made fun of.  They are demeaned and even scorned.  Over and over they are portrayed as unloving and uninvolved in the lives of their children.

That has bothered me for years.  I have tremendous respect for the fathers in my life.  While they may not be perfect, they are trying.  They love their children and sacrifice for them.  I believe most fathers are like that.  So, to hear Elder Christofferson say those things from the pulpit was wonderful.  I hope that people will turn off productions that demean parenthood.  I hope they will value their parents.  I hope people who produce programs will see the value in portraying families that are functional and are real.  Then, maybe instead of our youth believing that their fathers have no value, they will see their eternal value.

So I want to thank my Dad.  I want to thank him for loving my mother.  I want to thank him for overcoming a tough upbringing.  I want to thank him for being willing to leave his beloved Iowa in order to have his children have opportunities.  I want to thank him for being creative.  I want to thank him for all of the games he allowed me to join.  I want to thank him for helping me feel safe as I grew up.

I want to thank my husband.  He has been my partner, my support, my friend.  He was willing to sacrifice for our children.  He coached teams, helped with homework, made meals, gave blessings, set an example and tied lots of knots!  Because of his courage in trying things, we all tried new foods, and learned new skills.  He has been a wonderful example to us in being faithful in Church attendance and callings.

I want to thank my sons.  They have chosen two lovely young wives who have blessed our families.  I see the pictures of the boys with their families and am touched that they also are carrying on those valuable traits.  Their children clearly love them and feel safe.  What a blessing!









No comments:

Post a Comment